Thursday, June 23, 2011

Pacific Crest Duathlon Relay - Gimpy's not ready for the Western States 100!!!

I thought my next blog would be about the Forest Park 50K run or running with pain.  But I'm pushing those out, 'cause Gimpy's been thinking about Saturday June 25th and the Pacific Crest Duathlon Relay and the much longer Western States 100 Miler which are on the same day.

It's been the case for the last two years, that Gimpy and his brother-in-law, Joe, head from Albany/Jefferson in the green Williamette Valley, over the Cascades, and team up in the dryer lands of Central Oregon to compete in the long-course duathlon at Sunriver.

This will be Joe and Gimpy's third consecutive year at Pacific Crest and it's always exciting to get over there and see how we're going to do against some other great duo teams.  Although the way the course is set up you rarely see anyone unless you're passing them, or in Gimpy's case, getting passed.  Some day we're hoping to learn how to swim or find someone with as much common sense as ourselves, so we can move up to the Triathlon relay.  Until then it's Duo or bust...

The big news last year was Joe got a new bike and more importantly we broke into the 90+ age group, (in our case combined age is over 100), shhh! no making fun of Gimpy's gray hair, we both go over thinking we're young and fast and full of vinegar.  In Joe's case, he is fast on his new bike and makes up for Gimpy speed, (insert a word similar to plodder here).

Joe is a hard core time trial speedster and long distance endurance bicyclist and to his credit last year knocked off 10+ minutes from the long bike ride (56.3 miles) from Gull Point on Wickiup Reservoir around Mt Bachelor and back to Sunriver.  For me, I added 10 minutes to my half-marathon time from the previous year and so we finished essentially the same combined time as last year. (Booyah!)

Thanks Joe, now hurry up, Gimpy might be slower this year and we need to go sub-5!!!

"Wheels" awaiting start at Wickiup Resevoir
Past Results:
2009 - JoeNButch_TagTeam
Joe Rothery: 2:47:52 20.73, Roger McKay Jr: 2:15:50, Combined time: 5:04:35

2010 - JNB TAG TEAM                 
Joe Rothery: 2:37:48 , Roger McKay Jr: 2:25:24, Combined time: 5:04:15

After Mr Joe "Wheels" Rothery bombed away on the bike I had a few minutes to watch the swimmers, snap a few photos, and glance at Mt Bachelor where "Wheels" would soon according to legends be careening down the backside around 50+ miles/hr and thinking I sure hope he got new brakes.

2011 News Flash: Word is "Wheels" got new wheels in 2011, so he could go even faster than 2009/2010.  Can't wait to post his improved results.

I needed to get going so I could get down to the transition area before speed racer Joe got there.  Joe looked beat, but not in as much pain as 2009 when I think he laid on the ground for a couple weeks after he finished.  (Gimpy thinks this is another good reason to run, I'm sure runners never have back problems.)

The run started out well with a quick transition time, the Triathletes hadn't yet made it to the transition, so it was odd running in the top 10, this doesn't happen for Gimpy.  However, the heat soon took it's toll and nearly knocked Gimpy out before getting past mile 6.  By mile three the lead runners off the bikes were starting to pass me like I was Gimpy slow again.  All I could think thanks to Joe I got to run in the lead group for awhile.  The aid stations were a blessing and at each one I briefly wished I'd ran the half marathon that started at 7am before the sun came up, I think.  By 13.1 miles, all I saw was cold water and Gimpy stood under a cold shower for a good 5 minutes which felt real good!!!  Those simple feelings and the challenges they are associated with are why I like to run.

This year with even less heat training, I'm hoping to do better.  I'll be loading up on S-Caps, water, and Gu and we'll see how "Gimpy" McKay and Joe "Wheels" Rothery do.  We leave tomorrow and I am super psyched and hoping to go sub-2 hours for the half.  That's like almost 1.4x Gimpy speed.  With luck Joe will hit his proverbial speedy stride and we'll go sub-5. If not, that's ok too, I'll smile when I cross the finish line, knowing Gimpy is lucky to be able to do these things with his friends and family who continually find ways to inspire him.

Last year, my reward in addition to a fun times, good food, a cold water finish, super nice medal, and loads of sun...
That's right a pumice stone gift to clean the grill, family said it's time to BBQ!!!  No Problem!!!  We'll get 'er cleaned up this year too.


In addition to Gimpy's own fun and games for June 25, 2011 in Sunriver, he'll be thinking good thoughts for SuperBadA$$ Mike Rosling, William "Pain Train" Swint, and their family and friends down at Western States 100, running the same day from Squaw Valley over the mountains east to Auburn, California.

The 'Spike' and 'Crazy Train' doing 100 milers, has got Gimpy thinking 50 miler at the end of July, that's right, Mt Hood 50 PCT and it will be even hotter me thinks, then maybe in 2012 100? ...but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Time to double down and you guessed it,

Let's go Gimpy, Time to run!!!

Family and Friends Credits: Big thanks and appreciation to my wife Carmen and sister Darlene for letting Gimpy and "Wheels" share time together doing two of our favorite past times.  Thank You both!!!

P.S. If there's a crazy fast endurance swimmer out there with super Gimpy genes or flippers give us a shout, 'cause in 2012 it may be Tri time!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment