Saturday, December 10, 2011

No Western States 100M, No Swan Song, and I ain't no bump on a log neither

The Western States lottery (2012) and raffle selections (2013) are done for now and it looks like a lot of good runners were selected with at least 8-9 running to represent Oregon.  However no 'Gimpy' McKay on the list to toe the line in June 2012.

Oh well, thanks to the Rosling and Jensen families for being so supportive before/during/after the selection process, maybe next year...  The quiche' and fresh fruit was delicious!!!

So what's a 100 miler worth relative to goal setting and accomplishments.  For now, I need to regroup and prep a new set of running goals...

A couple options:
1) Complete the Oregon Trail Series (Tough, but possible with extra miles)
Hagg Lake (50K)
Peterson Ridge (40M)
McDonald Forest (50K)
Siskyou Out N Back (50K)
Mount Hood (50M)
Waldo (100K)
McKenzie River (50K)
Flagline (50K)

2) Run a Marathon or two (I'd like to go sub-4hrs and ultimately <3:30 for a Boston qualifier):
Timberline Marathon
Foot Traffic Flat Marathon
Victoria Marathon
Silver Falls Marathon

3) Specific Goals:
=>Re-qualify for WS100 2013
     a) Run a 100K in under 14 hours
     b) Run Mt Hood PCT 50 in under 11 hours
=>Run a sub-4:00 Marathon(s)
     a) Victoria Marathon
     b) Other??

4) Stretch Goal:
=>Throw caution to the wind and run the Plain100 (Scary for sure, depends on how I feel after 100K)
=>Beat the "Weiner Dog"

So while I still need to figure out what additional runs Gimpy will do in 2012, I know it's not the end of my running and I won't just be sitting around.  When I ran Peterson Ridge 20M last year, I thought the run might be over when I got a cramp at mile 8-9.  I ended up slowing my pace, regrouped, and finished one of my more memorable running experiences.  I think that's how Gimpy see's the lottery for Western States, it's just a little cramp, now I need to adjust my pace, regroup, and just keep moving.

I took this picture of a swan at Cline Falls near Redmond before the 2011 Peterson Ridge run.  It made me think about the phrase last "Swan Song".  So, even though I didn't get into Western States, it's not my last running experience.  In fact, I have many more running adventures to go.  So in fact, it's NOT my last "Swan Song".

"Swan song" is a metaphorical phrase for a final gesture, effort, or performance given just before death or retirement.  (Reference from Wikipedia)








...and since I like to run and try new adventures, I won't be a bump on a log either.

So with a little advice and reflection...  I should be back on the trail in no time.

I'll probably consult Team Rosling on this one...

Not a "Bump on a Log" either




















Until then, Let's Go Gimpy, Time to Run...

3 comments:

  1. I should add Gimpy was ready to log some crazy miles if I got into Western States. One thing I'm trying to decide is whether to do the crazy miles anyway. Is logging 2500 miles this year too aggressive compared to last years 1500? Maybe, Maybe not...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're money my man... I say run and just keep running. Stay healthy, and as our coach has mentioned, a runner in motion needs to stay in motion. Pound the hell out of it... We are better when we just keep it moving. We'll pop the top if you hit your goal at Waldo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't think in terms of next year's total mileage...I would think what do I need to do to get ready for my next goal race.

    ReplyDelete